Wednesday, April 18, 2012

You Can't Miss This: Bubble Furniture

So this week on Unbeige, I found something that made me cringe, but I couldn't stop staring at it. Maartan, a group of designers from Milan, have came up with a mutated, bubble furniture. Check it out here:


I think it looks absolutely disgusting. I understand it's trying to be "trendy" or something new, but these chairs look like a colorful disease. The designers came up with the furniture series to look like they were formed organically and not by hand. Ironically enough: "They might be the result of a mutation in cells, or the result of a chemical or nuclear reaction. Perhaps it’s a virus or bacteria that has grown dramatically out of scale.”

And that's exactly what it is... a mutation. There is no way that these pieces of furniture are actually comfy. I have a feeling the lumps would even give someone back problems over time. In my opinion, I think that designs have to be both appealing and useful. I don't think these designers were going for that angle.

I can't help but get goosebumps (the bad kind) from looking at these designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment